Thursday, February 28, 2013

I don’t need to be somebody else: Kesha


Kesha might have begun her career as a backing vocalist for other artistes, but it didn’t take her long to take centre stage herself. Three years ago, her rebellious music and defiant image propelled her to a spot
alongside big names, the likes of Rihanna and Lady Gaga. Recently, she released her second album, Warrior (Sony Music). But it’s impossible to imagine the singer-songwriter-rapper thriving in the circuit minus the recklessness of the youth that she pompously endorses.

In this interview, she talks about living her life to the fullest, a new documentary series on her and the love she hold for her fans, whom she fondly refers to as “animals”.

You have a strong stage persona, but have been criticised for being juvenile in the way you treat your music and performances. What would you say about that? Also, what do you do to make your concerts memorable?

Do you think I care for what the f****ing world says? I don’t need to be somebody else. I am an animal for my animals (fans).  I wear my own self. I believe in living my way to the fullest and performing for my animals. I know they love me. I don’t need anybody else’s love. Before hitting the stage, I give it a second to think where I am, what language do they (the audience) speak. I always want to make people feel good as hell. I remember one moment where for ‘Tick Tock’, we spent a lot of dollars on stage glitter ‘ejaculating’ on my fans. So I am ready to do anything for my fans.How have you evolved as a singer and songwriter since your debut album?

Every time I work on a song, I learn something new. I grew up listening to my mom; she wrote country music. I feel matured every time I sing or write. I give a s**t to people who think my music sucks. With Warrior by RCA records, I have evolved as an artiste and, most importantly, as an animal. I think I was a lion in the past.

You are also going to debut on an MTV reality series. What can we expect from it?
The reality series, Kesha: My Crazy Beautiful Life, is about my life and my encounter with a male ghost. People have heard me on radio, seen me performing on stage or have seen my belly move in music videos, but that’s not all. I’m going to show a lot of other shocking parts of my life with this documentary. It is not at all glamorous.

Is an India tour on the cards? A lot of your contemporaries have performed here.
I’ve been asked by lot of my animals about coming to India. I would want to come here and burn the stage one day. I am not sure when, but will definitely plan something in the coming years. I’ve heard a lot about Bollywood and it does fascinate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...